Friday, September 26, 2014

Throwback: AOL Dial-up


So this week both classes had no f2f meeting and therefore I made good use of my time getting together with my partners for group assignments.  Both assignments have a good bit of research involved and naturally I used the Internet.  Whether I was "googling" or using the Stockton library resources- which offers a plethora of online access, everything was right at my fingertips in a matter of seconds.  So often we forget how advanced technology is today and how easily accessible the Internet is. And so, I'd like to dedicate this weekly post to reflect to the not-so-far-back 90's, and the breakthrough of AOL dial-up internet.


It's amazing how fresh that awesome AOL sound still plays in my head; the magical connection to the world wide web.  I came across this article (a.must.read.) which encompasses so many of the reminiscent emotions toward AOL that I am sure you too feel about that phenomenom.  I was laughing out loud at how accurate the article is, I assure you will enjoy.

Fun fact:  I also found out that AOL is still racking up subscribers for dial-up!  This amazed me even more, here, take a look.


1 comment:

  1. I am laughing to myself as I read your blog. I was just talking to coworker the other day about the good ole fashioned dial up days and we were brainstorming old dial up companies. I guess to some people, those days are alive and well.

    ReplyDelete